Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My Crazy Story of How I Got Where I Am Today




If you would like to learn more about my health, fitness and nutrition support groups, visit here: http://goo.gl/forms/dawBNSa9tU
If you would like more information about becoming a health coach, visit here: http://goo.gl/forms/VL4cpvBTP4

I was raised in a middle class, two-income family.  My parents got married two days after my mom graduated high school.  My mom always regretted working to put my dad through college and not getting to go to college herself (and therefore never making/ having as much money as she would like to have).  There was never any question about whether or not I would go to college.  The problem, however, was that at 17, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up.
When I was about 19, someone - who did not know me at all - told me that I should be a teacher, because "teaching is good pay for a lady."  If I had had any thoughts about being a teacher, that definitely got rid of them!
Around the same time, I learned about a major in nutrition and food science.  It included two things that were fun for me - food and science.  I did not know at the time that it was placing me on a career path with the same "great" pay as teaching.
I love teaching, as a matter of fact.  I love helping people who want to learn the facts about nutrition and health, and guiding people on the path to better health.  One problem with our current medical model, though, is that we don't help "healthy" people stay healthy - we put a band aid on people after they get really sick.  The Western medical field is shifting somewhat to prevention, but we still have a long way to go until that becomes the first line of defense and dietitians are well used to help people achieve their healthiest potential. 
Because I wasn't happy in the current medical model, I spent some time floundering, trying to find where I belonged.  This lead to some choices that put me in excessively stressful situations.  I did not always handle that stress well.  I was overworked and I ate my stress.  Despite "knowing better," I ended up at the most I had ever weighed in my life.  I was still overworked, overwhelmed, and felt like I had no time to take care of myself.
Then one day I met Jessica Baumgartner.  She, along with my naturopath, motivated me to take control of my life and my health.  If I cannot make time to care for myself, I am not going to be very good at taking care of other people - including my family - for very long.  I had a hard time committing to exercise, because it required 30 minutes, an hour or more.  Then I starte doing 10 Minute Trainer - even on my most hectic days I can squeeze in ten minutes to exercise (and it is so short that my daughter is not usually demanding my attention before I am done).
I love that I have found a way to help people eat better and move more, reducing risks of chronic disease and poor health.  I have an outlet to help people who already have health conditions, as well as those who want to keep themselves healthy and active for years to come!
If you can relate to anything that I have said, I encourage you to reach out to me.  If you are interested in losing weight and feeling healthy, or if you would like to learn more about being a health coach, please use the links below to reach out to me.  If this is not a good fit for you or the opportunity for you, I am just glad that we got to connect.  I love meeting new people and I would still like to keep in touch!  I hope that you enjoyed this video and that something that I said inspires you.  I hope to talk to you really soon!  Bye!
If you would like to learn more about my health, fitness and nutrition support groups, visit here: http://goo.gl/forms/dawBNSa9tU
If you would like more information about becoming a health coach, visit here: http://goo.gl/forms/VL4cpvBTP4

No comments:

Post a Comment