Friday, May 15, 2015

What Can a Dietitian Do For You?

Sometimes I forget that I live in a world where people do not understand what dietitians can do.  Sure, I've seen the pictures on Facebook and laughed that laugh that goes along with the sad truth.  


However, in my mind, I still think that people have a general concept of dietitians - until I start talking to non-dietitians.  Yesterday, I was having a conversation with a fellow public health employee, and he had no idea that dietitians could bill (and be reimbursed by most insurance companies) for nutrition counseling.

As dietitians, we often complain that salaries and reimbursement are poor, but how could it not be when fellow health professionals do not even realize that we are not only valuable providers, but also legitimate providers in the healthcare arena?  But I digress...

Dietitians can do many things.  Sure, some are still trying to be the food police, telling you what you can and cannot eat.  Others (like me) understand that not everyone is in quite the same place in life, and we need a little grace and understanding as we struggle to balance all the demands of life.

Dietitians cannot fix all of your problems.  However, we have the tools to help and support people as we strive toward healthier decisions and actions!

No comments:

Post a Comment