Saturday, March 14, 2015

Motivation or Abuse?

I think we have all seen it - that "motivational" moment that is utter nonsense.  No excuses!  Guilt.  Shame.  All in the name of self-improvement, right?  I am all for motivating change - that is pretty much what my career is all about.  However, in my years as a Registered Dietitian, I have seen that guilt- and shame-inducing motivation does not work.  After all, if it did, would obesity rates still be rising?  (Yikes! I hadn't seen the 2013 data until a minute ago, and I didn't realize that we had to add a >35% category!)

A friend of mine posted a link to an article on Facebook, and I love it!  I loved it so much, that I made my sister-in-law read it - right then.  I don't know you Carolyn Kylstra, but I loved this article!

For those of you who hate those "motivational" sayings, pictures, etc., I am here for you!  I believe in positive reinforcement, not negative.  I live in the real world.  My real world includes a husband, preschooler, and chronic headaches.  Sometimes life happens.  Oh, and we were all created differently.

That time fitspo made you think that fitness is about accomplishing a specific goal at the expense of everything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment